Large-scale cyber-attack against Venezuela

11.08.2017

Venezuela-hacked

 

A massive cyber-attack, which was made earlier this week against government websites in Venezuela, has left seven million mobile phone users without service, the government said today.

The Binary Guardians hacker group claimed responsibility for attacks that targeted the websites of the government, the supreme court, and the National Assembly.

"These terrorist actions which affected the Movilnet's GSM platform on Wednesday left without communication seven of the state operator's 13 million users," Science and Technology Minister Hugbel Roa said.

There are two other private mobile operators in Venezuela - Spanish-owned Movistar and Digitel.

Roa said the outage was part of a wave of attacks that began on Monday when dozens of websites of government and private organizations were hacked.

According to Roa, the country has suffered nine cuts in the country's fiber optic network, which has cut off the Internet service.

"The attacks were carried out with the help of foreign agents, trying once again to disrupt our country's connectivity," Roa said, adding that an investigation is currently under way.

In January, 17-year-old hacker Kapustkiy hacked three websites belonging to the government of Venezuela, which showed what their cybersecurity was.

Would you like to comment on this article?

Share

Latest news

15.12.2017

Hacker removed malware from Netgear site, the company failed to do so for 2 years

An anonymous hacker has removed malware from a Netgear site after the company failed to clean up a malware infection for more than two years.

15.12.2017

Hacker robbed church in Northern Ireland

The hacker told the priest that the church computer should be remotely accessible to fix an internet problem.

15.12.2017

Synaptics to remove keylogger from its drivers

The company has decided to remove the keylogger functionality from its products.

Sign up for our online newsletter!